Selling during Ramadan
On Tuesday 23 March, Extra Mile and the AA-ISP Dubai Chapter, hosted an insightful discussion about selling during Ramadan with a mixed panel of experienced sales professionals based in the UAE.
Reem AlFalasi – Business Development Manager – Cigna Insurance Middle East (from UAE)
Ali Kabir – Global Sales Director – Savu ex-Gartner & ex-Linkedin (from Scotland)
Maurits Schreuders – Sales Manager Middle East & India – ROI Hunter (from the Netherlands)
Guillaume Larronde (Moderator) – Managing Director – Extra Mile (France)
The questions and topics covered in the discussion:
- Is Ramadan a challenge or an opportunity for you?
- What is Ramadan?
- How do you plan your year, your quarter with Ramadan in mind
- As muslim and as sales professionals, how do you prepare, how do you organize yourself to be working effectively during Ramadan
- Communication with clients (dos & don’ts)
- New business: Best practices for prospecting, new business salespeople
- Events & gifts (Best practices, Dos & Don’ts)
- What is the most important thing you want to leave the audience with.
The panel provided us with their tips on how B2B sales professionals should plan for, and navigate Ramadan, to optimize success.
The panelists concurred that Ramadan provided both challenges and opportunity, but that the pandemic has certainly added complexity this (and last) year. For those interested, the recording can be accessed below.
- Plan for a 6 week period of potential disruption: Ramadan + Eid. Plan, plan, plan according to typical sales cycles well in advance.
- Be mindful and considerate of those fasting (customers and employees alike). Some work better after fast is broken so flexibility with working hours is key. Be creative and leverage virtual communication channels
- Expect your customer to work shorter hours. Keep presentations concise and duration short, any time that you can give back to your client will be appreciated!
- Target those who are not practicing Ramadan: these individuals may have more time for you!
- Identify the implication to your customer if they dont sign the deal before Eid: it will help forecast realistically.
- Some industries boom during Ramadan, for example consumer goods. Be sure to capitalise on this by planning accordingly and seizing the opportunity.
“Selling during Ramadan” virtual panel recording
- 0min Welcome and introduction of AA-ISP and AA-ISP Dubai Chapter
- 4min 30s Introduction of panelists
- 12min 0s What is Ramadan?
- 17 min 45s How do you plan your year, your quarter with Ramadan
- 19min 30s As muslim and as sales professionals, how do you prepare, how do you organize yourself to be working effectively during Ramadan
- 30 min 06s New business: Best practices for prospecting, new business salespeople
- 37 min 00s Events (Dos, Donts, Best practices)
- 38 min 30s Communication with clients (dos & don’ts)
- 41 min 33s Gifts (Dos, Donts, Best practices)
- 48 min 30s Q&A from Audience
- 54 min 30s What is the most important thing you want to leave the audience with?
More resources about Ramadan for B2B sales professionals and leaders
New Covid-19 rules announced for Ramadan 2021 in UAE https://gulfbusiness.com/avoid-evening-gatherings-in-the-uae-during-ramadan-2021-ncema/
Ramadan tips for non-Muslim friends of Muslims Facebook bit.ly/psimramadan
Google | Insights. Ideas. Inspiration – Ramadan Feature https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/intl/en-145/
Bain & Google | eCommerce in MENA 2020 https://www.bain.com/contentassets/2b078686303045ffa1d1207130ab5d79/bain_report__ecommerce_in_mena.pdf
Deloitte | Doing business Guide in the UAE 2021 https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/xe/Documents/tax/doing-business-guide-uae-2021.pdf
If you would like to know more about AA-ISP Dubai Chapter or join the list for future events, please visit: https://www.aa-isp.org/chapter/dubai